The Power of Routines.
Routines. Love them or hate them, they can really make a difference. For those of you who rebel against any kind of restriction (read structure/organisation), routines need not be limiting, but rather work for you and your personality type.
The word "routine" used to give me chills - I was one of many who thought routines were limiting, controlling and dare I even say it, boring. I had an aversion to anything that restricted what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be.
Move along many years, and here I am espousing the importance of routines and incorporate them into my daily life. Here's how they work for me.
- They simplify life. Constant decision making is exhausting.
- Little effort is required as my routines encompass many repetitive tasks and habits.
- Increased self-confidence. A completed 'to-do' list will have that effect on you.
- They help me to be more relaxed. Read points 1, 2 and 3.
- We learn. We get better with repetition. Practice makes perfect.
- They are compatible with creativity. When I'm not so stressed about getting things done, I am calm and able to focus on what's important to me.
Are you a fan of routines? I'd love to hear how/what you do to take the stress out of your life to get things done.